Saturday, October 28, 2017

Playing with the Outback 1899 Multiband Mobile Antenna

If you are - like I was - looking for a cheap solution to be hf-ready on the ham bands you may come across this antenna:


It's the Outback 1899. Designed for 80,40,20,15,10 and 6m. Power rated for 120 watt pep.
Sells for around 50 bucks. Great!

When I first bought the Outback, I only had a magnetic mount on the Jeep. At first sight the antenna was much too short, resonating always to high for the chosen bands, no matter which one. 


1st problem: Antenna length 

The top part of the antenna was too short to tune the antenna on the ham bands. Since this is not much of a deal I changed the top part to a slightly longer welding rod. The result: The SWR was ok on 10 to 20m, medium on 40m and crap on 80m. At this time I thought that could be a problem of the ground connection of the mag mount. 

Finally I managed to install an old Wilson antenna mount. Felt bad to drill a hole in my Jeep though. What must be, must be. 

I was optimistic that the SWR would be better now.


Let me share the results with you

All measurements made with the Rigexpert AA-55ZOOM

10m band

We have a nice SWR 1.13:1 in the 10m band but still below 2:1 on 28500. I consider this to be ok for me. 

15m band

1.16:1 on 21210 kHz and below 1.5:1 for the whole band. Great!

20m band

1.72:1 on 14175kHz, near 2:1 at the edges - usable but not great

40m band

2.1:1 at 7020kHz, not good. I have to use the tuner an the whole band.

80m band

just bad. bad. dips @2750kHz with 3.1:1. bad.

6m band

I don´t make use of the 6m band but for the sake of completeness, here comes the measurement
This doesn't even come close :(

Conclusion

I am sure that there are better pieces of the Outback 1899 around. At least my model doesn't work as promised by the manufacturer. The model of a friend works slightly better but far away from 1.5:1 on all bands. 

Since 6m and 80m bands are really out of tune (antenna too long) but the other bands are in tune, I suspect the coils to be incorrectly tune at the factory. For 50 bucks I still do like the antenna since I use 15m and 20m most of the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

RFI silencing the Victron Solar Charge Controller MPPT 100 15 and possibly other models

Why? You probably came here because you already know that the stock Victron MMPT Solar Charge Controller is nearly unusable if you need a qu...