Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The illusion of using a dipole for 20m on the Jeep

Flagpole - fits on the trailer hitch
I am always searching for a portable antenna to use from the Jeep. 

Today I have had the idea to build a 20m halfwave dipole. That thing should be mounted to the trailer hitch on the backside of the Jeep. Somehow I didn't realize that antenna would be 'huge'. Built it anyway. Have a look at the pictures to get an idea about the size.

After 5 tries and the help of my YL we managed to tune the dipole on 14200 with the Rigexpert AA-55Zoom. We didn't mount it to the Jeep but to the feeder band right behind it. It´s about the same height so I think that counts ;)


The Jeep with the 10m log dipole :D
After all the work was done it was time to hook up the transceiver and try it out. It worked good right away. I have managed to make a couple of nice contacts and compared signals against the Outbacker 1899 a few times. I will not throw around with s-units or other results since the mobile antenna was much lower in height. 

The mission "portable Jeep antenna" failed because of the big size. It was fun to try it out anyway.
Not mounted to the Jeep but same height for testing

YL carrying the dipole

No comments:

Post a Comment

RFI silencing the Victron Solar Charge Controller MPPT 100 15 and possibly other models

Why? You probably came here because you already know that the stock Victron MMPT Solar Charge Controller is nearly unusable if you need a qu...