Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Simple 20 minute DIY magnetic loop for FT8

This is what happened yesterday evening: I made a magnetic loop out of old coax. I was really excited to know if magnetic loops really work so I made a quick test setup. It looks crap, is built crap and most probably can perform much better If built from appropriate material. But thats what we found here. 

  • 3m Coax RG213
  • 1m Coax RG58
  • some SO/PL 259
  • wooden sticks, ca 80cm long
  • tie straps
  • end caps for the stick (not really needed but love to play with the 3d printer ;) )
Nothing more. That costs less than 10 bucks and 30 minutes of time.

all the pieces I had to cut off during the tuning process

The tuning was an easy task. I first tuned to 30m by cutting pieces from the RG58 which is my capacitor in this case. After 5 minutes I had an SWR of 1:1.3 on 30m FT8 frequency. I tried to make a contact, increased power to 10 watts...20 watts...30 watts...BAM -> bad SWR. I went back to the balcony. What happened? The end of the RG58 melted and made a shortcut. NOTE: Never leave the end of the coax open. It has to be insulated.  

The cap - cable was now too short for 30m so I decided to tune for 20m. Did that, tried 50 watts, went back to 25 watts to be safe. 

SWR on 20m 14.07 :) FT8ed!
I was even able to work a couple stations, but the band was already in a bad shape since it was night time. 

Conclusion: It may be worth to go through the build process of a good magnetic loop and invest into a good capacitor. I am sure, these things could perform well. Mine was only on the balcony, 50cm away from the wall and did already work better than other balcony-things I've tried. 

'Finished' (ugly) antenna - thank god it's dark!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

RFI silencing the Victron Solar Charge Controller MPPT 100 15 and possibly other models

Why? You probably came here because you already know that the stock Victron MMPT Solar Charge Controller is nearly unusable if you need a qu...