Monday, November 13, 2017

The hidden power of FT8

The new fascinating digital mode FT8 took off like a rocket. But do people know the real power of FT8? To be honest, I didn't. Today I was in the mobile and the band was absolutely dead. I mean really, not a single station heard on 20m SSB. But what about FT8? I tuned to 14.074. Nothing. Maybe there is something. A really quiet tone in the noise. Not sure. I gave it a try. Turned decode mode to "deep" (usually I am on "fast") and... surprise!

South America showed up. Remember: I was in the car with the 30bucks antenna. Nearly nothing to hear from the speaker but W-SJTX was decoding like hell!! 


And then... tada! KC4AAA from Antarctica showed up. For those who don't know: That's the Amundsen-Scott South Pole station. That's 14500km from my position!

I gave it a try and he confirmed me immediately. Fantastic.. Remember: From the car, cheap antenna and a windows tablet :) 

Conclusion: With the right propagation FT8 rocks. With bad propagation FT8 rocks even more! 

If you didn't try it yet, go to https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html and start NOW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

RFI silencing the Victron Solar Charge Controller MPPT 100 15 and possibly other models

Why? You probably came here because you already know that the stock Victron MMPT Solar Charge Controller is nearly unusable if you need a qu...